Monday, August 24, 2009

Colorado Wildflowers

Well I just returned from a 5 day trip to the San Juan mountains in south west Colorado. I was in search of wildflowers and spectacular mountain vistas. My friend Rick and I visited four different alpine basins, Gold King, Yankee Boy, American and Ice Lake Basin. I had visited Ice Lake last summer, and knew that it was shockingly beautiful, so I was really excited to re-visit this grandeur of natural wonders! Especially because last year I really got hammered hard by the summers worst storm, reducing my trip to a measly two days!

But first we needed to experience the other three high alpine basins. In hind sight, the weather and our planned agenda worked perfectly. On our visit to Gold King, Yankee Boy and American Basin, we barely seen a cloud for four days. However just in time for our excursion into Ice Lake, the weather turned - and these fabulous clouds started to roll in. we had a tremendous Sunset and sunrise shoot before we needed to clear out to avoid another a heavy and typical summer rain storm. But not before we managed to capture some beautiful images. Have a look!




Ice Lake Basin - Nikon D3, 17-35 f2.8







American Basin - Nikon D3, 17-35 f2.8





Taken from a vista near Island lake, Nikon D3, 17-35 f2.8






Ice Lake Basin, Nikon D3, 17-35, f2.8







Ice Lake Basin, Nikon D3, 17-35 f2.8

I found Ice lake to be so beautiful and diverse in what it offers, I plan to make it an annual photo event. In fact I am presently planning to offer a small group tour to this area next summer. If anyone is interested in joining me, please contact me by email (shanemcdermottphotography@gmail.com) and let me know. I will provide more information and details in the next couple of months.

For now, please feel free to leave a comment,

Enjoy, Shane

No comments: